Polite & Friendly's

in

New sig I made today

b1oodsh0tTue Mar 23, 2010 8:39 am

Hi guys, just made this sig today and wanted to get your opinions on it and any recommendations to improve it if it needs it? I really wanted to try something completely different hence the abstract syle, desert camo colors, water color effect, and also I used no renders etc. It's the first sig that I've made in years and I'm a definitely a bit rusty so any recommendations and suggestions would greatly be appreciated =).
Quote Post

SinisterTue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 am

It depends what program are you using.

I would make it less abstract. Would make the fonts blend in. The lower text is not really readable. I would choose a different font for your name. and use formfound font for BK. if you used the original picture there are several ways to make it cool. fisrt of all gradient map. choose one of the gradient maps, and change it blending mode around. another way is adding a texture on top of everything, playing with it's blending modes.

you could create 2 layers. one abstract one with original picture. than put the abstract above the original. then i would create a mask on the abstract one and with a 0% hardness, big brush I would mask the abstract thingie in the center. so as to make the sniper the only real thing.. I dunno. Just throwing ideas.

as per the fonts a way to make them blend better or be more visible add outer glow and play with the color and blending mode of that effect.
Quote Post

b1oodsh0tTue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Cool thanks Sinister, I've got both CS4 and Gimp so I'm gonna try doing some of the things you mentioned and from the tutorials that are posted. I did use outer glow and blend around the font but I moved my name into that top corner with a light background so it totally lost the effect =S. Ok gonna give it another shot and see what I can come up with =).
Quote Post

ImmolationTue Mar 23, 2010 7:33 pm

One more thing... Standard sig size on the forums is 400x120 pixels. So if you can, try and size it down to that.
Quote Post

b1oodsh0tTue Mar 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Ok will do, thanks Immo I had no idea =)
Quote Post

SinisterTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Thanks Immolation
Quote Post

b1oodsh0tWed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 am

Here's a fresh new attempt, I'm not too happy with it so I'll just use it in the meantime till I come up with something better and get some more practice  making sigs. Thanks for the advice and especially the tutorials you guys have been posting in other posts and stickies!
Quote Post

SinisterWed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 am

Gettin there mate. Though the render/picture is not the best one- bad quality Wink wait I'll throw you something better. It's not really a sniper, but it's a good quality render. Try something out using that one. About the background. start with something simple. Basic colour-> lightning effects-> first texture-> c4d/ part of the render itself-> some masking-> second texture (a one with dark edges so to create a natural looking frame)-> texture on the render/ the whole sig (so as to flatten the render)-> (optional) gradient mask, choose one, play with its blending mode , if not that one check another one. Wish you luck. Prepare yourself as the Graphics Competition start on friday

ahh... forgot the picture Razz
Quote Post

b1oodsh0tWed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 am

Awesome, thank you very much Sin! I'm definitely gonna go about it as you suggested and I think it would be better too. I originally started with the image then rendered clouds, used the actual bad quality render of the sniper to make the background with motion blur, then added the image, dodged/burned, added borders. It really didn't come out how I pictured it but gave me some good practice and like you said I think the image I used was pretty poor quality as well heheh. I'd definately like to take part in the graphics comp and looking forward to the render that you have that I can try using, thanks again for all the advice =).
Quote Post

SinisterWed Mar 24, 2010 1:43 am

yep the render is up in my last post
Quote Post

Forums ©