Polite & Friendly's

in

New Processor

BabaYagaSat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I have come to the realization that I need a new CPU. I think that is what is hurting while trying to play games like COD:Black Ops and MW3. I've got a quad core 6600 from about 4 years ago. I've got a Raedon HD5770 with 1GB for my graphics which I think is good enough.  I guess I'm asking if I should get an i7 and which one? Not looking to spend a fortune. Any ideas?
Quote Post

UchiMataSat Jun 23, 2012 8:16 pm

You only need to go to an i5 for gaming. There are no games that will stress it for a few years yet.
If you want to over-clock, then get a K-series processor, ie i5-2500K.

The latest 3rd generation use less watts with a marginal increase in power.

I also have a 5770 and it plays BF3 just fine at medium quality.

I just helped my son build an i7-2600K with 16 ram, 128Gb SSD, 1Tb HD and 500w PSU for £600 (approx $850?). He's using it for music mixing/production so doesn't need a graphics card.
Quote Post

mr-tSat Jun 23, 2012 9:44 pm

you need to remember getting a new processor also generally means you need a new mobo

i have been using amd for several years now and had no problems, they tend to be cheaper than intel there for you can get a better one i believe amd are up to a 8 core processor now
Quote Post

AbramSat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Do ahve you your 6600 overclocked? Those overclock quite well and it's pretty easy. Spending 30 or so bucks on a good aftermarket cooler is certainly cheaper...

BUT, if you're looking for a full overhaul, then yes, you will need a new mobo, RAM, and CPU.  The Q6600 uses LGA775, adn that CPU is just about the best one available. If using a single screen, I really think you could get away with only a new GPU, and have at least 4gb or RAM.

What are you looking to spend?  If you]'re looking for a full overhaul, then that is a much longer post.
Quote Post

DamonSun Jun 24, 2012 2:50 pm

XR4TI,

If you're interested, I have an Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9650), which fits in the LGA775 socket.
I used it in my previous system, before I built the new one, and it's just been sitting.  I still have the original box, booklet, heatsink, and of course CPU.
Free to you, if you want it.
Quote Post

AbramSun Jun 24, 2012 3:02 pm

That'd be a lateral move, if you ask me.
Quote Post

DamonSun Jun 24, 2012 3:47 pm

The Q9650 is the best CPU, to my knowledge, that you can have in an LGA775 socket.
If XR4TI is able to cover the cost of a new i5, RAM, and motherboard, then I recommend that over the CPU I'm offering.
Quote Post

BabaYagaFri Jun 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I don't really have the money but I also don't want to have to upgrade so I'm thinking I might try overclocking it which is something I've been putting off.  

Damon - I might take you up on that cpu if the overclocking doesn't go my way. How much would it cost to ship it?
Quote Post

DamonFri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 pm

I won't charge you for shipping.  If you decide that you want it, just send me a PM with the address and let me know if UPS is okay.  I'll give you the tracking info the same day I drop it off.
Quote Post

BabaYagaSun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Damon I sent you a PM
Quote Post

BabaYagaSun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Can't overclock because I have an Intel Mobo. Doesn't allow overclocking unless I use third party software which I'm not prepared to do.
Quote Post

AbramSun Jul 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Can't OC? That's a new one. All you need is to be able to change FSB speed and ratio. And changing multiplier  is nice, too. What board do you have?
Quote Post

BabaYagaMon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Intel G33
Quote Post

DamonTue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

XR4TI, I sent you a PM yesterday with the shipping information.  If you haven't received the PM, just let me know and I can forward the email to you.
Quote Post

BabaYagaWed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I didn't get the pm. My email is nathanspencer at live dot com
Quote Post

Forums ©